Thursday, November 3, 2011

Paint or not to paint...




Well, that's not really the question... The real question is what color? Bold? Classic? Muted? Vibrant? Dark and Rich? or Light and airy?



I must admit, while I am sorta crafty, I'm TERRIBLE at picking paint colors! I'm 0 for 3... Picked a bedroom color once b/c the name sounded great {something like Caribbean Breeze... sounds amazing to me!}... turned out to be more like Smurf Breath. Then when we were going to paint the kitchen when we moved into our old house, I picked out a beautiful green color, straight out of a Martha Stewart magazine... only I pointed to the wrong color on the little paint swatch... and ended up with 'Amazon River' instead. After such failures, I wanted to pick a simple beige for out stairwell and hall way. The painter handed me a fan deck and I pointed to the first tan-ish color that came up. Can't go wrong with a nice neutral tan, right? Ah... not so much... really more of a flesh tone than tan...

So you understand my trepidation! But when we moved in to our new house last year, I vowed that the white walls would GO! If you know me at all you know I'm not an 'understated' kinda gal. I love color! I love a vibrant room, that just begs to be lived in!

We painted our kitchen first ;)
For about 4 mos our wall looked like an old patchwork quilt! My husband {who's not much better at picking colors..ehem...Soldier Blue living room, really? again, the name sounded cool, I guess...}, discovered those neat little jars of paint samples!
After hemming and hawing for months, we finally decided to pull the trigger and paint it red. Not my favorite color, but it turned out really nice. Except for the fact that we didn't bother to prime the walls, and now you can scrape the paint off with your nail! Praise God for wainscoting!

So, we're finally going for it! The whole house (except the kitchen!) is getting painted starting next week! I'm SOOOOO excited, but now I'm staring at this little Pottery Barn fan deck and scratching my head...

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Picking colors! It's one of my favorite things. I almost never regret the colors. Remember you can always fix it. Don't sweat it! Funny how you are amazing at picking yarn colors but paint distresses you! ;o) Good luck and happy painting!

    ReplyDelete